COVID-19 Safety Information for Chan Centre Patrons
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Chan Centre! The health and safety of our staff and all visitors is of the utmost importance to us. We have implemented a number of new protocols as we begin to slowly and safely re-open our facility. Please read the following information carefully.
For your safety, the Chan Centre has implemented the following changes:
- Significant reduction in venue capacity
- Increased cleaning measures
- Temporary suspension of intermissions and concession/bar sales
- Traffic flow and patron seating organized to promote physical distancing
- New safe visiting procedures for patrons (please read below) including mandatory use of non-medical masks when indoors.
Chan Centre staff will be onsite to welcome you, and we ask that you kindly follow their direction and guidance at all times.
Thank you for your assistance in making these events safe and enjoyable for everyone!
Safe Visiting Procedures
Prior to your arrival
- All persons visiting the UBC campus and entering the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts must be able to answer “no” to all four of the following questions:
- Are you experiencing any new or worsening symptoms of COVID-19 such as difficulty breathing; fever or chills; cough; loss of sense of smell or body aches/headaches.
- Have you been identified by Public Health as a close contact of someone with COVID-19?
- Have you been told to isolate by Public Health?
- Have you travelled internationally within the last 14 days, including to the USA?
If you answer “yes” to any of the above questions, please refrain from entering the Chan Centre at this time. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Additionally, the Chan Centre strongly recommends that people with underlying medical conditions and people who are immunocompromised not attend events at this time.
The Rose Garden Parkade is the closest parking to the Chan Centre. We recommend downloading the HonkMobile app in advance for touchless payment processing.
If you are unable to pay using the app, payment machines can be found on levels 3 and 5 of the parkade. These machines accept credit card or coins only (no bills).
Please respect physical distancing and stay in your car until you can maintain 2m distance from other patrons in the parkade.
Arriving at the Chan Centre
Please arrive in the plaza outside the front doors 30 minutes prior to the start of the event.
Maintain 2m distance from others at all times, including when waiting to enter the building.
All patrons must check in with the box office upon arrival where they will have their seating locations confirmed and tickets scanned.
The lobby and house will open 15 minutes prior to the start of the event.
Inside the Chan Centre
Wearing a non-medical mask is mandatory for everyone when indoors on the UBC campus. For more information on this policy, effective Sept 16, 2020, read the full UBC announcement here.
Please follow the posted directional signage and floor markings, and maintain 2m distance from others at all times.
Proceed to your seat right away to avoid lobby congestion, and sit in your assigned seat only.
At this time there will be no intermissions or concession/bar sales. Patrons are welcome to bring non-glassware bottles from home containing water only.
Please respect posted capacity limits for washrooms and elevators.
Remember to practice good hand hygiene and wash your hands for a minimum of 30 seconds in hot soapy water. In addition to sinks available in the Chan Centre washrooms, there will be hand sanitizer stations set up throughout the venue.
Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
Cough and sneeze into your elbow or a tissue and wash or sanitize your hands afterwards.
Thank you for your cooperation!
Please note that these safety measures will be reviewed and updated on an ongoing basis to align with guidelines provided by the province of British Columbia and the University of British Columbia.