We are proud to serve mostly BC-based food and beverage options, including a selection of coffees, alcoholic drinks, and non-alcoholic drinks. A small variety of snacks are also available. Drinks are only allowed in the theatre on a per-event basis. Please read the pre-show reminder email for confirmation or ask one of our staff.
We operate on a cashless system and only accept payment via credit or debit card. Patrons may also pre-order drinks to minimize waiting during intermission.
Enjoy a meal before or after your event at the Chan Centre at Wildlight Kitchen + Bar. Ticket holders receive 10% off their meal when they show their tickets to wait staff.
Chan Centre Presents Subscribers enjoy an exclusive 20% off their meals at Wildlight Kitchen + Bar as a benefit to their subscription.
Offer valid for dine-in only, alcoholic drinks excluded. Not valid when combined with other offers or discounts, including happy hour.
Latecomers will only be permitted inside during a pause in the performance. An usher will let you in and show you your seat at the appropriate time.
Our venues are committed to being scent-free spaces. Please refrain from wearing perfumes and colognes as they may affect other patrons’ performance experience.
Cameras, Phones & Recording Equipment
Professional photography and videography equipment are strictly prohibited.
Please turn your phone to silent with no vibration and reduce your brightness. Recording videos and taking photos on your cell phone may or may not be permitted depending on the performance. As a general rule of thumb, classical music concerts do not permit cell phone use. Please read the pre-show email reminder for confirmation or ask one of our front-of-house staff.
Event Videography and Photography
Some events may have professional videographers and photographers. The recordings captured may include your image. By entering into the event premises, you give the presenter permission to use and/or alter your image for any future promotional purposes related to the presenter without prior notification.
Code of Conduct
The Chan Centre for the Performing Arts at UBC is committed to ensuring a welcoming and safe environment for its patrons, staff, and artists, as outlined in the UBC Statement on Respectful Environment for Students, Faculty, and Staff.
All guests will be treated in a professional and courteous manner by all venue staff. We expect all guests to treat artists, patrons, and venue staff in the same manner by adhering to the following Code of Conduct at all our events.
- treat others with respect, dignity, and concern for their well-being
- comply with staff’s reasonable instruction and rules so that staff may perform their duties to the best of their ability
- refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech
- refrain from smoking within our facilities, including E-cigarettes and vaping
- refrain from displaying violent behaviour
- refrain from excessive consumption of alcohol
- refrain from bringing prohibited items (see below)
The list above is not exhaustive and individuals should be aware that their conduct may still be considered prohibited even if it does not specifically appear in the outlined list.
We reserve the right to remove any patron from our premises should they fail to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the provisions within UBC’s Statement for Respectful Environment for Students, Faculty, and Staff.
As the Statement affirms, “The best possible environment for working, learning and living is one in which respect, civility, diversity, opportunity and inclusion are valued.” We are committed to upholding these values to ensure a positive experience for all.
- Weapons and firearms
- Knives, razor blades, box cutters, scissors and unsafe personal accessories including spiked jewelry, clothing, footwear or headgear
- Alcohol and illegal drugs or illicit substances
- Mid/large size bags (larger than 12″ x 12″)
- Banners and signs (including flags and flagpoles)
- Glass bottles, cans, coolers and thermoses
- Cameras, laptops, tablets and recording devices
- Fireworks, explosives and aerosols
- All outside food and beverage
- Horns, noise makers, whistles, instruments, and bells
- Laser pointers
- Objects that can be used as projectiles (inflatable balls, frisbees, etc.)
- Non-service animals
- Large umbrellas
- Tripods, selfie sticks, telescopic or similar devices
- Spray cans and aerosols, silly string
- Bicycles, scooters, Segways, hoverboards, skateboards and roller blades
- All other items deemed inappropriate for entry
Coat check is available for items suitable for storage during the event. All other prohibited items must be disposed of prior to entry being granted into the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts. All patrons and personal belongings may be subject to search.