- Marsalis or Mayfield?
Thu Jan 7, 2016
Marsalis or Mayfield?
How well do you know these two titans of the jazz world? Put your knowledge to the test, then check your answers at the bottom of the page. No cheating!
- Born in Breaux Bridge, Louisiana.
- He dropped out of the University of New Orleans’ jazz studies program after the first semester.
- The Royal Sonesta Hotel in New Orleans is home to a jazz club named after him.
- He made his debut with the New York Philharmonic on Central Park’s Great Lawn in 2010.
- His mother was a school teacher in the upper ninth ward of New Orleans.
- He recently opened the first space built specifically for jazz in the Big Easy – The Peoples Health New Orleans Jazz Market.
- He appeared as a guest judge on the final episode of the 5th season of Top Chef which was filmed in New Orleans.
- The Dave Matthews Band, Sting and The Police, and the Grateful Dead have all shared the stage with him.
- Los Hombres Calientes, a NOLA-based jazz group that also included Jason Marsalis, was founded by him.
- Following Hurricane Katrina, he developed the concept for a Musician’s Village in New Orleans’ upper ninth ward along with Harry Connick Jr., featuring the Ellis Marsalis Center for Music as its centerpiece.
- Marsalis. Mayfield was born right in New Orleans.
- Mayfield. Ellis Marsalis Sr., who was head of the program at the time, had initially convinced him to attend.
- Mayfield. The official name is “Irvin Mayfield’s Jazz Playhouse”, in the historic French Quarter.
- Marsalis. They performed Glazunov’s “Concerto for Alto Saxophone” and Schuloff’s “Hot-Sonate for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra”.
- Mayfield. His father was a drill sergeant in the US Army, as well as a boxer.
- Mayfield. The Jazz Market features music education experiences for all ages, a New Orleans Jazz Archive, tributes to current and past Jazz Masters, and performance space.
- Marsalis. He stated in the episode that “It’s really cool sitting around listening to chefs talk, ’cause they talk like musicians.”
- Marsalis. In fact, he was a regular in both Sting an the Grateful Dead’s live performances until 1995.
- Mayfield. Irvin is around the same age as the youngest Marsalis brother and they originally became friends in public school.
- Marsalis. In 2012, Marsalis and Connick received the S. Roger Horchow Award for Greatest Public Service by a Private Citizen, an award given out annually by Jefferson Awards.
Sat Feb 27 / 2016 / 8pm
Sat Feb 13 / 2016 / 8pm